Celebrate Pro Bono October 20-26, 2013
For the last three years Alabama held the most successful pro bono week celebration in the country. The reason for our success was the support and activity of our local bar associations. We hope this year you will again join in the celebration and support Pro Bono Week 2013!
To assist in your planning the Alabama State Bar Pro Bono Week Task Force has developed a packet of materials. This packet has how-to information and sample materials to support a variety of fun, educational and beneficial activities. The list below will help you get started!
Plan a fun event to celebrate, recognize, and appreciate the lawyers in your community who give their time and talent to improve access to justice.
- Have a Proclamation Signed by your Mayor or County Commission
We have sample proclamations and contact information for your local officials.
- Speak to local civic groups about the importance of access to justice We can supply you with a list of talking points, a sample speech and handouts.
- Hold a pro bono recruitment drive
Send a recruitment letter, hold a phone-a-thon or social event to encourage participation in pro bono.
- Participate in a local pro bono legal clinic.
Step-by-step planning materials are available for local pro bono legal clinics.
- Present a CLE program. Provide your local bar with one hour of MCLE ethic credit. A pre-approved CLE program and materials are included for use by local bar associations.
- Hold a community legal education program. Hosting a community legal education program, a complete set of materials is available to assist you.
- Submit a Letter to the Editor. Sample letters are included in this packet and on the Alabama State Bar web site. Be sure to add information about any local events including your local proclamation.
- Place Table Tents and Pro Bono information at your local courthouse.