Therefore, I will
• never knowingly deceive another lawyer.
• honor promises and commitments made to another lawyer.
• make all reasonable efforts to schedule matters with opposing
counsel by agreement.
• maintain a cordial and respectful relationship with opposing
• seek sanctions against opposing counsel only where required for
the protection of my client and not for mere tactical advantage.
• not make unfounded accusations of unethical conduct about
• never intentionally embarrass another lawyer and will avoid
personal criticism of another lawyer.
• attempt to always be punctual.
• seek informal agreement in procedural and preliminary matters.
• recognize that advocacy does not include harassment.
• recognize that advocacy does not include needless delay.
• shake hands with the opposing counsel at the close of adversarial
proceedings and will refrain from engaging in any conduct which
engenders disrespect for the court, my adversary or the parties.
• be ever mindful that any motion, trial, court appearance, deposition,
pleading or legal technicality costs someone time and money.
• never have ex parte communications with the court.
• stand to address the court, be courteous and not engage in
recrimination with the court.
• dress in proper attire during any court proceeding, whether in
the courtroom or chambers, to show proper respect for the
court and the law.
• not become too closely associated with my client’s activities,
or become emotionally involved with my client.
• always remember that the purpose of the practice of law is neither
an opportunity to make outrageous demands upon vulnerable
opponents nor blind resistance to a just claim; being stubbornly
litigious for a plaintiff or a defendant is not professional.