Huntsville Utilities offers a customer service driven environment, with access to industry-leading technology that supports our employee’s work and resources to drive career advancement. Join us at Huntsville Utilities, where our team is customer service-driven and uniquely focused on one goal: To provide high quality, low cost, safe and reliable electric, natural gas and water service to our customers.
- Offer Range: $77,584 – $93,891
- Exempt/Non-Exempt: Exempt
- Benefits: Yes
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Department: General Counsel
The Assistant Attorney works with General Counsel to provide legal advice s across a wide range of matters, including litigation, contract review, and labor and employment law compliance. This requires maintaining accurate and complete case files and providing guidance to manage risk and ensure compliance with rules, regulations and laws as well as internal governance policies and procedures. The Assistant Attorney helps to provide a legal framework for company-wide decisions and courses of action.
- Drafting litigation-related documents, to include pleadings, motions, and briefs;
- Conducting significant research of a broad range of issues and topics relevant to the functioning of an Alabama public utility and producing well-written memoranda informing HU’s management and Directors;
- Assisting in counseling all Departments regarding the legal requirements, and risks, relative to the operations and management of those Departments;
- Interpreting laws, rulings, and regulations within area of expertise;
- Assisting General Counsel in communicating with and coordinating the work of outside counsel, when appropriate;
- Reviewing binding documents, to include contracts with suppliers and vendors, various purchasing contracts, partnerships, rate negotiations, and internal policy;
- Examining legal data and case law to determine the advisability of defending or prosecuting legal matters;
- Finding proactive solutions that can eliminate or mitigate risks;
- Enhancing management’s ability to make ethical choices by understanding and informing others of the rules and guidelines set out by the Alabama Ethics Commission for public officials and employees.
- Working productively with external parties (regulators, external counsel, elected officials and customers)
- Keeping abreast of changes in the legal and regulatory structures that govern the business activities of Huntsville Utilities and effectively communicating those changes to the appropriate parties and individuals.
- Education/Training/Certifications: Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited Law School with admission to the Alabama State Bar Association: strong academic credentials.
- Required Experience/Skill: A minimum of two years of experience in an area applicable to the effective counsel for a public entity or board including but not limited to litigation, contract drafting and review, and a high degree of professional ethics and integrity; and excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and a member in good standing with the Alabama State Bar association.
- Preferred Experience/Skill: employee relations, labor and employment law, legal representation of persons or entities associated with the utility industry, and real estate law.
- Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions: Primarily sedentary activity in office environment. Little exposure to severe weather or hazardous conditions. May involve long workdays and potentially stressful situations.
Equipment: Personal Computer, and telephone.
Must have excellent interpersonal, writing and speaking skills. Primarily performs sedentary activities in an office environment; some tasks require repetitive motion over an extended period of time. Should be self-starter and an innovative and creative thinker. Available to respond quickly as issues arise, able to handle stressful circumstances with a calm and professional demeanor at all times.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Acquiring Information
- Composing and Writing Text
- Critical Thinking
- Demonstrating Initiative
- Prioritizing and Organizing Work
- Delivering High Quality Work