Attorney III: ALABAMA COURT OF CIVIL APPEALS
The Alabama Court of Civil Appeals is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals to fill a vacancy in the class of Attorney III. Applications for this position will be accepted until Tuesday, May 24, 2022.
NOTE: This is a confidential (non-merit) appointment. Confidential employees are exempt from merit system rules and regulations relating to appointment, tenure, and appeal.
This permanent, full-time position is a highly responsible professional legal job performed in the Clerk’s Office of the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals. The employee in this position serves as legal counsel to the Clerk of the Court of Civil Appeals and aids in performing the statutory duties of the clerk. Work is performed under the general direction of the Clerk of the Court of Civil Appeals. The position is located in Montgomery, Alabama.
Typical Duties (may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.)
- Reviewing complex legal issues in cases pending before the court and making recommendations to the clerk and/or to the court.
- Screening appellate cases for jurisdiction.
- Monitoring the status of cases on appeal for compliance with the rules of court and with orders and notices issued by the court.
- Assisting with the management of cases on the court’s docket.
- Examining filings for compliance with the rules of court.
- Corresponding with attorneys and litigants.
- Tracking legislative changes and amendments to the rules of court.
- Preparing monthly and annual statistical reports for the court.
- Performs related work as required.
Required Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of Alabama law, particularly the areas of law that are within the jurisdiction of the Court of Civil Appeals.
- Extensive knowledge of court procedure, including the Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure and the Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure.
- Extensive legal research abilities.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of public administration.
- Ability to analyze and appraise facts, evidence, legal filings and instruments, and legal arguments and present analysis, finding, and recommendations regarding such material in clear and logical form, orally or written.
- Ability to deal tactfully, professionally, and effectively with attorneys, judges, court officials, elected officials, litigants, and the general public.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Knowledge of the English language including writing, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability and willingness to perform tasks to assist the Clerk in maintaining a current Court docket and ensuring the efficient operation of the Court.
- Juris Doctor
- Five years of professional legal experience.
- Admission to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Alabama.
- Experience in appellate practice preferred.
Salary range is $74,074.20 – $112,953.60 and will be commensurable with qualifications and experience. Benefits include annual leave, sick leave, health insurance, and retirement.
How to Apply
Qualified individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume to the Clerk of the Court of Civil Appeals, 300 Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36104, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 24, 2022. Selected applicants will be scheduled for interviews. Writing samples and references may be requested.