City of Atlanta (Georgia) Department of Law - Assistant Attorney II (Special Initiatives Team)
Assistant Attorney II (Special Initiatives Team)(Job Number: 210470)
Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
This position will serve as a resource to the Public Safety, Policy, Legislation, and Special Initiatives Legal Team. This team provides legal advice and counsel to various City departments, supports a variety of transactions and special projects, assists with development of policy, conducts legislative review, and drafts documents, agreements, and legislation. A key aspect of this role is the ability to conduct thorough legal research, provide clear analysis of applicable law and apply legal advice effectively to the issues presented by clients. This position will require handling tight deadlines and responding promptly and professionally, taking the time to listen and understand clients’ needs and the complexities of the situation to ensure that legal advice, counseling, and written communications are aligned with City processes, City of Atlanta Municipal Code, and other applicable laws. The attorneys in this team have a critical role in collaborating with other members of the City’s Department of Law as the areas covered may have impact in other operational areas of City.
The attorney responsibilities include:
- Provide advice and counsel to various departments within the City of Atlanta, including the Atlanta Police Department, Atlanta Fire and Rescue Department and other public safety departments, the Department of Grants and Community Development, the Transparency Officer, and the Office of Inspector General.
- Review, revise or draft Memorandums of Understanding and other multi-party agreements between City and other partners.
- Review, revise or draft Legislation for various City departments, the Executive Office or City Council.
- Support projects from the Executive Office or the City Attorney.
- Represent the City in certain administrative hearings or proceedings.
- Staff Atlanta City Council meetings.
- Ensure that all City processes are followed, including developing knowledge of and following City Code of Ordinances and any applicable Federal or State regulations.
- Engage appropriate colleagues within the Department of Law and/or other City stakeholders to develop a complete understanding of the risks and impacts of any project, document, policy or legislation being handled.
- Evaluate and communicate to internal stakeholders any risks and obligations and provide general legal advice as needed.
- Establish productive relationships with the City agencies, departments and functional groups.
- Conduct legal research related to applicable municipal, state and federal laws and regulations and interpret laws, rulings and regulations to advise on legal matters.
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctorate degree required.
- Must be a member of good standing with the State Bar of Georgia or the ability to obtain membership within one (1) year of employment.
- Must have at least six (6) years of post-graduate relevant legal experience.
- Experience in municipal, county, and/or constitutional law.
- Negotiation and drafting experience.
Interested parties should apply online by visiting the City of Atlanta website at www.atlantaga.gov or directly at https://atlantaga.taleo.net/careersection/coa_general_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=210470&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York.