Court Debt Project Attorney
Legal Services Alabama (LSA) is a statewide non-profit law firm that pursues its mission to serve low-income people by providing civil legal aid and by promoting collaboration to find solutions to problems of poverty. LSA seeks a Court Debt Project Attorney (CDPA) to support our mission through its Court Debt Project. This project is sponsored, in part, by a grant from the SPLC. The position will be located in the LSA office in Birmingham and may require travel around the State of Alabama.
The CDPA hired for this position will advocate for waiving or reducing client court debt and assist them in avoiding penalties due to inability to pay. The CDPA will develop and coordinate intake procedures to identify prospective clients and streamline services. The CDPA will organize and conduct legal materials, trainings, clinics, and strategy sessions to assist attorneys, litigants, and community partners.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Alabama or willing to take necessary steps to be admitted to the Alabama bar within 6 months of employment.
- Alabama recognizes reciprocity in certain states. A list of reciprocal jurisdictions can be found at https://admissions.alabar.org/reciprocal-jurisdictions
- Sensitivity towards low-income population.
- Experience in legal aid services or related substantive areas.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Spanish language proficiency is desirable.
Job Type: Fulltime
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Open until filled, No telephone calls or faxes
Legal Services Alabama, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Program and Employer and persons seeking employment will be considered without regard to sex or sexual orientation, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, political affiliation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status or any other consideration prohibited by law.
Salary based upon qualifications and experience.