Job Listing: Clerk of the Alabama Supreme Court
Position: Clerk of the Court
The Clerk of the Supreme Court of Alabama is a statutory office. See § 12-2-90 et seq., Ala. Code 1975. The Clerk performs a variety of duties in support of the Court’s constitutional appellate-litigation functions, rule-making authority, and attorney-superintendence authority.
The Clerk of the Court performs the following essential statutory duties:
- Administers oaths and takes affidavits;
- Issues and signs all writs;
- Maintains the papers, dockets, and records of the Court;
- Keeps a docket as directed by the Court;
- Enters the judgments and proceedings of the Court; and
- Makes, at the direction of the Court, “the quarterly allotments of the funds appropriated for the expenses of the Court and approve[s] the bills for payment out of such funds for the purchases and expenses of the court.” §12-2-97, Ala. Code 1975.
Examples of Work Performed: (examples do not cover all the duties which may be performed)
- Manages the receipt, processing, documenting, and filing of pleadings, briefs, opinions, and related legal documents submitted to or issued by the Court.
- Maintains the official and permanent roll of attorneys for the State.
- Prepares all attorney licenses and certificates of good standing.
- Serves as a liaison between the Court, the Bar, and the general public regarding the Court and its functions.
- Manages all appeal processes from initial filing to final disposition in accordance with the Alabama Rules of Appellate Procedure and the Court’s rules.
- Superintends the docketing into the case-management systems of all incoming case-related documents, the issuance of process, and the maintenance of official records in the custody of the Court.
- Screens cases for jurisdictional issues and/or potential transfer or deflection.
- Oversees capital cases in which the sentence of death has been imposed.
- Supervises and directs employees of the Clerk’s office, which may include but are not limited to a deputy clerk, staff attorneys, and financial officer/accountant, a property/purchasing manager, confidential assistants, docketing clerks, legal-research aides, and the executive director of the Supreme Court’s Appellate Mediation Program.
- Issues upon request written opinions interpreting any rule of administration promulgated by the Supreme Court.
- Works with the appellate court technology staff to ensure the continual development and implementation, as well as the integrity and functionality, of the Court’s case-management and electronic-filing systems.
- Prepares and maintains, as directed by the Court, various statistical reports, reflecting trends and performance of the Court.
- Manages the procurement of all supplies and equipment for the Court.
- Oversees the inventory and assignment of Court property, except for the inventory of computer-related equipment.
- Performs other duties as directed by the Court.
Education: Completion of a Juris Doctorate.
Experience: Ten years of experience in the practice of law in the public or private sector, preferably including some appellate practice or service for an appellate court. Five years of management experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Membership in the Alabama State Bar; possession of a valid Alabama driver’s license.
Annual salary range for this position is $99,650 to $151,936.80, depending upon experience.
All applications should be postmarked no later than July 8, 2022.
Please send cover letter and resumé electronically to the following address:
Or via USPS to the following address:
Supreme Court of Alabama
c/o Office of the Chief Justice
Attn: Employment Applications
300 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, Alabama 36104-3741
No references or letters of recommendation should be sent, unless specifically requested by the Supreme Court.
The Supreme Court of Alabama is an equal opportunity employer. The Court does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.