Our law firm is in search of a Full Time Legal Assistant to join our team. The Legal Assistant will be responsible for supporting attorneys by performing a variety of administrative duties, including drafting legal correspondence, answering phones, and greeting visitors and communicating with attorneys, clients, and court personnel. If you are a professional with a strong sense of discretion, we encourage you to apply for this position today.
We are looking for:
- Ability to support multiple attorneys
- Stable career history and excellent references
- Excellent computer skills; technically savvy and able to transition easily to new software systems
- Required: MS Office Preferred: Orion Law, Worldox
- Prefer someone proficient in MS PowerPoint
- Excellent typing skills and experience transcribing dictation
- Ability to prepare, or learn how to prepare, rough drafts of litigation pleadings and settlement documents, filing documents with State and Federal courts (including e‐filing)
- High level of organization and detail‐oriented
- A ‘can‐do’ attitude with the ability to change direction quickly and accurately
- Excellent communication skills, good public relations with clients
- Observes confidentiality
- Fluency in any foreign languages a plus
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Operates a computer; transcribes dictation.
- Types correspondence, memoranda, and other legal documents; drafts standard correspondence, memoranda, and other documents.
- Screens telephone calls and records messages. Communicates with clients as needed.
- Reads, sorts and dates incoming mail. Ensures that outgoing mail is timely delivered.
- If necessary, routes mail to specific delivery service and follows up on timely delivery.
- Establishes and maintains calendar and deadline reminder systems; utilizes master calendar system.
- Opens new files, performs conflict of interest checks with file room records, and maintains all client and general files.
- Conducts periodic review for possible storage of older files; prepares files to be closed.
- Maintains files for all active and off docket matters.
- Keep filing up to date.
- Receives clients and visitors; maintains good public relations with clients; observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Makes appointments for attorney(s).
- Processes bills; proofs billing sheets; reviews and edits bills.
- Performs legal assistant duties as requested including filings with courts.
- Performs overload typing of dictation as time permits and as requested by other attorneys.