Prosecutor Position Southern Colorado
Full Time Deputy District Attorney – Open Position
Quintessential Colorado living without the Colorado price tag! The Twelfth Judicial District is actively hiring prosecutors in Colorado’s San Luis Valley. Enjoy Colorado’s beautiful rural mountains while earning a Denver Metro Area salary. The Twelfth Judicial District Attorney’s Office serves Alamosa, Rio Grande, Costilla, Conejos, Saguache and Mineral Counties. The Valley is about 90 minutes away from Monarch and Wolf Creek ski resorts and about two hours away from Taos and Santa Fe. The Valley offers endless opportunities for hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing and off-roading in the San Juan and Sangre de Cristo mountain ranges. Deputy District Attorneys in the San Luis Valley will have the opportunity early in their careers to handle felony cases under the supervision and training of district attorneys with decades of prosecution experience representing several district attorney offices across Colorado. Post graduate/pre bar admission applicants are encouraged to apply.
The Office is also offering a $2,000 sign on bonus for travel expenses.
Duties of a deputy district attorney may include:
- Prepares and tries cases involving felony, misdemeanor and juvenile crimes
- Reviews criminal investigations and evaluates criminal cases for appropriate charges, possible plea dispositions, and likelihood of success at trial
- Collaborates with law enforcement agencies in the San Luis Valley to provide assistance with legal questions, warrant reviews and investigations
- Presents evidence, argues legal motions, conducts jury selection, prepares jury instructions and closing arguments, and argues for appropriate sentences
- Explains and interprets statutes, determines the adequacy of complaints presented by the public, and relays appropriate information to the public
- Periodically serves on-call to provide legal advice to law enforcement agencies and answer immediate questions from the general public
- Attends crime scenes involving serious felonies or other crimes when requested by law enforcement agencies
- Performs related work, as required
- May be reassigned in emergency situations
Salary: $75,000-$100,00 per annum based upon experience level.
Send resumes to Megan Martinez, Director of Administration and Diversion Services at firstname.lastname@example.org