Senior Attorney - City of Birmingham
The City of Birmingham is looking for well-qualified, motivated Senior Attorneys within its Legal Department to assist in providing expert legal advice and counsel to City officials and departments. Learn more about the position and the tremendous benefits of being a part of the City of Birmingham team below.
A Career with the City of Birmingham
With the motto of Putting People First, the City of Birmingham works to ensure employees and the citizens of Birmingham are the number one priority. Employment with the City provides an opportunity to work in an environment that fosters a culture of teamwork and community, supports equity and justice, promotes employee growth and development, and encourages individualism, while also emphasizing accountability to fellow coworkers and the community. Putting People First also means that, as an employer, the City of Birmingham strives to provide and maintain a highly competitive compensation structure, excellent health and medical benefits, and a strong and secure retirement and pension plan, along with other employee wellness benefits and programs. Working with the City of Birmingham provides not only the opportunity for a productive and secure career, but also a career that provides meaning and the opportunity to truly make a difference.
About the Position
Senior Attorneys for the City of Birmingham provide expert legal advice, counsel, opinions and representation to the Mayor, City Council members, City officials and departments. The Senior Attorney position is responsible for providing a variety of legal services to the City including representing the City and its employees in lawsuits filed against or on behalf of the City; investigating and processing claims against the City; drafting City ordinances and resolutions; providing opinions on points of law and interpreting the applicability of laws, statutes, ordinances and resolutions; representing departments in administrative and personnel matters; preparing and reviewing contracts involving the City; and representing the City in real estate transactions.
The City of Birmingham is actively seeking Senior Attorneys in two practice areas: litigation and transactions. The ideal candidate will meet at least one of the following experience tracks:
- Attorney with a demonstrated background and record of experience with transactional law, including general municipal law and land use planning, real estate transactional work, contract law (contract negotiation and drafting), to work primarily within City operations and transactional practice area.
- Attorney with litigation experience and a demonstrated background of trial and/or administrative hearing practical experience, legal research, motion practice, and mediation/settlement negotiations, to work primarily within litigation/trial practice area.
The Senior Attorney position reports to a Principal Attorney within the Legal Department and receives managerial direction in terms of broad practice, policies, and goals; but is expected to exercise substantial independent judgment in providing advanced and professional legal counsel. The position works in a team-based environment with other professional attorneys and legal support staff.
To be considered qualified for employment consideration as a Senior Attorney, a candidate must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Member of the Alabama State Bar.
- Experience as a practicing attorney in the areas of litigation or transactional work handling legal issues (e.g., personal injury claims, contracts, writing ordinances, leases, jury trials).
- Experience assigning and delegating work to administrative staff.
Compensation & Benefits
The City of Birmingham offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including:
- Salary range: $81,744 – $126,817 (starting salary is commensurate with education and experience)
- Flexible work arrangements including remote/telework options for up to two days per week and alternative work schedules (e.g., four 10-hour days). Such flexible work arrangements are available to employees after completion of their probationary period and approval by the Department Director.
- A City-sponsored pension retirement plan. The City of Birmingham provides a Tier 3 “defined benefit” plan where employee retirement payments are computed using a formula that considers several factors, such as length of employment and salary history.
- Excellent medical insurance with employee monthly contribution as low as $32.50/month
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Behavioral health plan
- Group Term Life & AD&D Insurance, Voluntary Term Life & AD&D, Whole Life Insurance, and Short-term Disability options
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Generous holiday schedule
- Membership and admission benefits for City attractions such as the Birmingham Zoo, Birmingham Museum of Art, Southern Museum of Flight, and more.
To learn more about the City of Birmingham, please visit www.birminghamal.gov.