Alabama State Bar and Alabama Attorney General's Office Announce Winners of Alabama Legal Food Frenzy
MONTGOMERY – Alabama State Bar President J. Cole Portis and Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall announced the winners of the Alabama Food Frenzy, a statewide competition that was held April 24 through May 5 among law firms to benefit Alabama’s eight regional food banks. Altogether, the equivalent of more than 72,000 pounds of food was collected for Alabama food banks.
The Alabama State Bar joined with the Attorney General and the Alabama Food Bank Association to coordinate this event. Food was collected and weighed at each regional food bank. Monetary donations were also accepted and counted as four pounds of food for each dollar. The law firm or legal organization that collected the most pounds of food per employee receives The Attorney General’s Cup, with other honors awarded in categories based on the firm’s size.
“Lawyers in Alabama are committed to loving our neighbors and we understand that we not only advocate for the public in the legal arena, but we also advocate for the public by being charitable,” said Alabama State Bar President J. Cole Portis of the Beasley Allen Law Firm (Montgomery). “It is my hope that other citizens in our great state will follow the example of Alabama lawyers and donate to their local food bank to help those in dire need within their own communities.”
With 50 firms and legal organizations participating, the Alabama Legal Food Frenzy’s second year was a great success.
“The response of attorneys throughout Alabama has been wonderful, and demonstrates the strong spirit of public service to which the legal profession is committed,” said Attorney General Marshall. “I want to thank everyone for these donations that will assist our fellow citizens who are in extreme hardship. Food banks in communities across our state perform outstanding work in their mission to strengthen our communities by providing sustenance and dignity to those who suffer from hunger. I am proud to be a part of recognizing and honoring those who have participated in this important program.”
The winners of the Alabama Legal Food Frenzy are:
Attorney General’s Cup
- Cooper Shattuck, LLC (2,597 pounds per employee), West Alabama Food Bank
- Most pounds – Paul and Smith, PC (922 total pounds), Feeding the Gulf Coast
- Most pounds per person – Angela L. Walker, PC (664 pounds per employee), Feeding the Gulf Coast
Small law firm (3-20)
- Most pounds – Cooper Shattuck, LLC (8,309 total pounds), West Alabama Food Bank
- Most pounds per person – Cooper Shattuck, LLC (2,597 pounds per employee), West Alabama Food Bank
Medium law firm (21-40)
- Most pounds – Hill Hill Carter (6,646 total pounds), Montgomery Area Food Bank
- Most pounds per employee – Hill Hill Carter (225 pounds per employee), Montgomery Area Food Bank
Large law firm (40+)
- Most pounds – Beasley Allen Law Firm (4,990 total pounds), Montgomery Area Food Bank
- Most pounds per person – Burr & Forman (100 pounds per employee), Feeding the Gulf Coast
- Most pounds – Progress Rail (3,661 total pounds), Food Bank of North Alabama
- Most pounds per person – Progress Rail (381 pounds per employee), Food Bank of North Alabama
More than 1.8 million Alabamians need food assistance and one in four children in Alabama comes from families who experience food hardships. Alabama’s eight regional food banks distributed more than 50 million pounds of food last year through their network of more than 1,500 partner agencies and pantries.