Position Available: Paralegal/Investigator in the Office of General Counsel
The Paralegal/Investigator is a highly responsible administrative position and reports to the General Counsel of the Alabama State Bar. The Paralegal/Investigator supports the day-to-day operations of the Disciplinary Division of the Office of General Counsel including the handling of possible disciplinary and civil matters involving members of the Alabama State Bar. The Paralegal/Investigator is responsible for drafting correspondence, legal documents and memorandums, conducting legal research, investigating possible violations of the Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct and assisting in hearings and trials. The Paralegal/Investigator may also perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the General Counsel of the Alabama State Bar.
Education – It is required the candidate hold a high school degree or its equivalency.
Experience – The candidate must have strong analytical skills and exceptional research and writing capabilities. It is preferred that the candidate have worked in a law office and have some familiarity with trial work.
Preferred –College degree. Litigation experience.
- Exceptional knowledge of information technology and software including word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and member data-management software;
- Ability to understand statutes, rules and regulations, exercise independent judgment, identify potential issues, and plan a course of action;
- Demonstrated ability to make good decision-making, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work on a team and effectively deal with interpersonal conflict and flow of work;
- Ability to develop and implement plans, set priorities, and manage multiple activities simultaneously and within specified deadlines;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational ability, and attention to detail;
- Ability to communicate information and explanations as well as interact effectively in a patient and tactful manner with department staff, other co-workers, current and prospective members of the Bar, and the general public;
- Ability to occasionally travel to different in-state venues.
The Paralegal/Investigator position is located in the Alabama State Bar building in Montgomery, Alabama. The duties and responsibilities of the position must be performed from this location.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include participation in the State Employees’ Health Insurance Program and the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
Submit a resume with a cover letter of no more than two pages explaining why you are interested in this position and why you believe you are qualified. Please also provide a writing sample. Preferably, this writing sample will be a legal document you drafted. Please send this information to:
Roman Ashley Shaul
Alabama State Bar
Post Office Box 671
Montgomery, AL 36101-0671
The deadline for applications is February 28, 2020. The position may be filled prior to that date if a candidate meets the requisite qualifications.