By Effie Hawthorne, Associate General Counsel at the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners
If you’re like many other Alabama attorneys, you haven’t seen the inside of a gym in a year thanks to COVID-19. While staying active has been a challenge for many during quarantine, I’m here to encourage you to dust off those workout clothes and get moving in a way that works with your full schedule. Exercising regularly releases endorphins and serotonin, which help relieve stress and boost your mood and overall sense of well-being. That’s right, physical health can improve your mental health, a positive for stressed attorneys.
I’ve broken down 6 trendy ways to get your good chemicals flowing. All programs can be done in the safety of your own home or operate under COVID-19 precautions, in addition to offering a variety of live class times to fit into your busy schedule. Workouts on my lunch break are a must for this working mom!
During the heart rate based High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workout, your coach will guide you through the 5 different heart rate zones: resting, easy, challenging, uncomfortable and All Out, telling you when to push harder and when to pull back for recovery. The goal is to spend 12 minutes or more with your heart rate elevated in “The Orange Zone” to boost your metabolism, burn fat and burn more calories.
- Each class consists of 3 sections: Rowing, Cardio, and Strength
- They offer a free local class for first time clients and a discount for ASB members!
- Prices vary per studio. The average price for a single class is $28.
- Studios nationwide
Alabama Studio Locations: Montgomery, Prattville, Auburn, Hoover, Inverness, Vestavia Hills, Birmingham (Downtown), Trussville, Tuscaloosa, Dothan
Find more information here: https://www.orangetheory.com/
In-Person with Virtual Option (Minimal Equipment Needed):
HOTWORX is a virtually instructed exercise program created for users to experience the many benefits of infrared heat absorption, while completing a 30-minute Isometric workout or 15-minute HIIT session. As the infrared heat penetrates your body causing you to sweat, the isometric postures further accelerate detoxification by physically removing the toxins from your organs through muscle contraction.
- They offer 8 30-minute isometric workout types including Hot Iso, Hot Yoga, Hot Pilates, Hot Core, Hot Buns, and Hot Barre None, with up to 3 members in a session.
- They offer 3 15-minute HIIT workouts including Hot Cycle, Hot Row, and Hot Blast, with 2-3 members in a session.
- Virtual instructors and workouts are available 24/7 with unlimited, 24-hour access.
- Prices vary per studio.
Alabama Studio Locations: Montgomery, Hoover, Vestavia Hills, Birmingham (Midtown), Tuscaloosa, Trussville, Madison.
Find more information here: https://www.hotworx.net/
Pure Barre is a total body barre workout focused on low-impact, high intensity movements that lift and tone muscles to improve strength, agility, and flexibility for every body. It is the largest, most established barre franchise, serving mostly female clients.
- They offer 3 types of in-person classes:
- Classic: The fastest, most effective 50-minute full-body barre workout.
- Empower: A 45-minute fusion of barre and interval training designed to elevate your heart rate, build strength, and rev up your metabolism.
- Reform: A 50-minute total body barre workout that targets, shapes, and defines all major muscle groups through resistance‐based strength training.
- Intensives are also offered regularly.
- Multiple studios are available for those who travel along with Pure Barre Go, an on-demand program that offers a variety of 5–60-minute classes.
- Prices vary per studio but average around $195 for one month unlimited or $20 per class.
Alabama Studio Locations: Montgomery, Birmingham, Hoover, Homewood, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Dothan
Find more information: https://www.purebarre.com/
Virtual Only (Minimal Equipment Needed):
obé is a very trendy, completely virtual, variety-based workout program offering live and on demand online classes. The pros of obé are the ease of availability and access (they’re available on the Apple store), the wide variety of classes, and the ability to make it work for your schedule.
- They offer 15 class types including barre, cardio boxing, dance, HIIT, pilates, sculpt, strength, and 3 types of yoga.
- Class times range from 10-60 minutes and available for different fitness ranges.
- They offer 7–30-day programs for different areas of focus.
- They offer a 7-day free trial then offer monthly ($27), quarterly ($65), or annual memberships ($199) that you can cancel anytime.
Find more information here: https://obefitness.com/
Virtual Only (Stationary Equipment Optional):
We’ve all seen the commercials and probably saw friends making the splurge over the holidays. Here’s why! Peloton offers an immersive cardio workout via bike or running + strength training with their new treadmill.
- They offer a variety of daily live classes and on-demand including beginner, genre, live DJs, low impact, power zone, walking, cardio, strength, and running.
- The Peloton app offers variety of on-demand classes to use without a bike including strength, yoga, meditation, running, bootcamp, and stretching.
- Peloton bikes start at $1,895 and treadmills start at $2,495 but they offer financing and monthly payments. Their website also provides a fitness calculator to compare the cost of the bike or treadmill to what you are currently paying for fitness classes.
- They offer a 30-day free home trial for the app and a 30-day free trial for a bike or treadmill, with free pick-up and a full refund.
Find more information here: https://www.onepeloton.com/
Another virtual workout with a price tag, the Mirror is marketed as the nearly invisible home gym with 2 feet of wall space in any room. It boasts real-time optimization, advanced camera technology and proprietary algorithms to deliver in-workout adjustments based on your goals, preferences, and personal profile.
- They offer 50+ different genres of workouts, including boxing, barre, cardio, pilates, dance cardio, stretch, weight training, pre/postnatal, and even family workouts!
- They offer beginner to expert levels with unlimited access for up to 6 household members.
- They offer 5-60 min classes with all types of equipment and curated playlists in a variety of genres.
- They offer weekly live classes or on-demand classes available 24/7 with a membership.
- The Mirror starts at $1,495 with financing and monthly payments available.
- The Mirror membership is separate and costs $39.99/month for a one-year commitment. The membership gives access to all Mirror workouts for up to 6 household members. Occasional membership discounts are available.
- They offer a 30-day free home trial (free pick-up and full refund)
Find more information here: https://www.mirror.co/
Find more information on exercise and brain chemistry here: https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/exercise