Job Announcement: Alabama Lawyer Assistance Program Director
Published on September 4, 2019
The Alabama State Bar is seeking a qualified individual to serve as Director of the Alabama Lawyer Assistance Program. The successful candidate will administer and oversee the state-wide Alabama Lawyer Assistance Program and will ensure that immediate and continual care is provided to Alabama attorneys, judges, or law students who may have a problem with a substance use disorder or another mental health issue such as depression or anxiety disorder. The Director will also help develop and maintain wellness programs for the Members of the Alabama State Bar and will work with the appropriate Alabama State Bar committees and task forces to implement new programs and support existing ones. The Director will also work with the Communications Department to provide information about the services provided by the Alabama State Bar. The Director will work closely with the Alabama Lawyer Assistance Program Committee and will be responsible for the development and maintenance of systems and policies addressing formal/informal functions. The Director will also work closely with the Practice Management Director on programs related to wellness and other preventive measures as it relates to stress within the legal profession.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in a Social Services area such as Counseling or Psychology or a JD.
- Experience working with a Professionals Monitoring Program or within a mental health agency.
- Experience in the field of alcoholism/addiction and a working knowledge of substance use disorders and other mental health diagnoses.
- Documentation of experience in a leadership role.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to write articles and other documents, prepare power point presentations, and provide in-person presentations.
- Ability to oversee committees and subcommittees and to guide and manage opposing viewpoints.
- Ability to maintain and update the necessary mental health and wellness resources for appropriate referrals and to establish and update an in-state network of lawyers/judges to assist with program operations.
- Basic financial skills to oversee the operations of Alabama Lawyers Assistance Foundation, a Foundation formed to provide assistance to members of the Alabama State Bar.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest and qualifications to Diane Locke – firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 25, 2019.