The Alabama State Bar has an immediate position available for Assistant Ethics Counsel in the Alabama Office of General Counsel.
The Assistant Ethics Counsel is a highly responsible administrative and legal position and reports to the General Counsel of the Alabama State Bar. The Assistant Ethics Counsel works with the existing Ethics Counsel to issue informal ethics opinions to members of the Alabama State Bar. The issuance of these informal opinions requires researching and investigating matters of ethics and analysis of the Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct. The Assistant Ethics Counsel also drafts certain formal ethics opinions for consideration by the General Counsel and the Disciplinary Commission. The Assistant Ethics Counsel supports the day-to-day operations of the Practice Management Assistance Program, which is responsible for helping lawyers understand and implement best practices in the operation of a law office, including marketing and human-resource issues. The Assistant Ethics Counsel is responsible for creating and giving Continuing Legal Education presentations to various legal groups in Alabama. The Assistant Ethics Counsel may also perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by General Counsel of the Alabama State Bar.
Education – It is required the candidate hold a juris doctorate degree and be a member in good standing of the Alabama State Bar.
Experience – The candidate must have strong analytical skills and exceptional research and writing capabilities. It is preferred that the candidate have worked in and had some responsibility for operating a law office and some familiarity with the Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct.
Preferred –Litigation experience.
- Exceptional knowledge of information technology and software including word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and member data-management software;
- Ability to interpret statutes, rules and regulations, exercise independent judgment, identify potential issues, and plan a course of action;
- Demonstrated leadership ability including good decision-making, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to lead a team and effectively manage interpersonal conflict and flow of work;
- Ability to develop and implement short- and long-term plans, set priorities, and manage multiple activities simultaneously and within specified deadlines;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational ability, and attention to detail;
- Ability to communicate information and explanations as well as interact effectively in a patient and tactful manner with department staff, other co-workers, current and prospective members of the Bar, and the general public;
- Ability to travel to different in-state venues; conduct site visits of law offices.
The Ethics Division of the Office of General Counsel is located in the Alabama State Bar building in Montgomery, Alabama. The duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Ethics Counsel must be performed from this location.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include participation in the State Employees’ Health Insurance Program and the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
Submit a resume with a cover letter of no more than two pages explaining why you are interested in this position and why you believe you are qualified for it to:
Roman Ashley Shaul
Alabama State Bar
Post Office Box 671
Montgomery, AL 36101-0671
The deadline for applications is October 18, 2019.